Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Ticket Trivia

Have you ever found yourself with 10 or 15 minutes of time left over at the end of class and you're just standing there wondering how you are going to keep the kids calm? I found this happening a few years ago so I came up with something to take that time up that the kids LOVE. And I mean LOOOOOVE!!

I call it Ticket Trivia.



I bust out my roll of tickets, find a center spot in the front of the room, plop down in my tall teacher chair, take a deep breath and tell the kids to get ready. They all wiggle in their chairs, get their legs out from under the desk, hands in their lap, tails wagging, ready and waiting.

Ticket trivia is just what it sounds like. It's trivia. Trivia over what we have been learning. I ask a question and the first person to raise their hand gets a shot. What's hilarious is people shoot their hand up, even if they don't know it, just because they're so excited. I always loudly emphasize the last word so they know it's time to raise their hand.

For example: "What tool do you use to measure...(pause) MASS!?" and then the hands shoot up. It's even funnier if someone's hand is under the desk. Lots of bruises on days like this.

The first person to get their hand up gets a crack at it. If they get it right, they get a ticket. If they get it wrong, I move on to a new question. Sometimes, I ask a really hard question that's worth 2 tickets. When I announce this is a two ticket question, they always go "Oooooooooooooh." At the end of ticket trivia, the kids that got tickets put their name on it and put it in a mini bucket I have for each class. I will randomly draw tickets to get in my "fancy" prize box. I am constantly being asked if I will draw for ticket trivia.

It's fun to see the kids get excited about answering questions over stuff we've learned. I have yet to meet a kids that didn't like Ticket Trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com