Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Student Organization

As the only science teacher for my grade, I see all 5 classes every day. So it's around 110 students a day. As a teacher, I have to be super organized or I go crazy. Trying to get my kids to be organized is another story.

Getting parents to be involved in their kids work is a whole other can of worms. So I wanted to share what I do to keep things running smoothly with so many students.

For each class, I have a crate that can hang those green file folders. Each student has their own "file". As we do work through the week, their papers get put in their file. If we are doing an activity that's not for a grade, they put it in their file at the end of class. If it's graded, then I grade it and put it in their file but on lazy days I just pick a few students to file for me :)

So come Friday, they have a weeks worth of work. On the first day of the next week, I have them take all their papers out and get a slip of paper called a "work check". They have to take their work home to show their parents what we are doing in science. The parents have to sign that slip of paper that says "I have seen my child's work for the week" and that sucker is due the next day.

This way, the parents are aware of what's going on school wise, grade wise, etc. and I don't get emails or phone calls asking me why their kid's grades are low. It also teaches the kids responsibility to get things turned in on time.

So this method has worked very well for me in my classroom so hopefully it can somehow be incorporated into your classrooms if you see a ton of kids every day. HAPPY TEACHING!!


3 comments:

  1. These are awesome ideas. I am moving from second grade to teach 5th grade science. I will also be the only science teacher. I am so excited but, I am having a hard time knowing where to start. I am definitely going to use your Student Organization, First Day Seat Finder, and Scientific Method bulletin board ideas. I'll probably use most of your other ideas too. Thank you so much.
    D. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy this could help!! Please don't hesitate to shoot any questions my way and I would be more than happy to share any other ideas I have that I didn't blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Can you post an example of what the "work check" slip looks like?

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com